Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: My Winter Project - Altec Build

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member
    My Winter Project - Altec Build


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    maybe GD was going with the flow. lighten up.
    Sonic Barbarian

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    The problem I keep having here is that if I stay on the site long enough, the printed material goes completely blank. Pictures still come through, but no text. I happens on another site using this host, too.
    Weird! Never seen/hear about this happening anywhere before. Then again, this hostboard is by far the weirdest I've ever been on when it comes to how it [doesn't] work.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    Quote Originally Posted by zelgall View Post
    You complain when nobody responds to your specific question within 20 hours (your first and second post were about that far apart) and then don't respond to the solutions presented in response for days. My life is busy and full but when I ask someone else for assistance I always provide an appropriate response for their help.
    Perhaps it's different where you live.
    Thanks for the tip, Zelgall. Cheers, and happy new year!

    GeeDeeEmm

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    Also getting the 'too busy' response or the reply page locks-up when I hit 'post reply'.


    If this gets through I'd like to say that this thread interests me.
    Last edited by mah; January 5th, 2016 at 01:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  5. #15
    HB Super Moderator
    My Winter Project - Altec Build


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    OK, guys, I know I'm the newcomer here, not part of the club,
    If your a member here you are part of the club !

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post

    Anyone got any idea why Todd insists on keeping it here?

    GM
    Hi GM !

    This is the PM I have just sent to Steven one of many I have lost count but a move is in order if we get no help this time !

    Hi Steven, Hope you had a nice Christmas and a Happy New Year ! But I am getting lots of complaints about the server too busy error people are getting constantly ! I myself can verify this..How am I supposed to moderate a board i cant view. Lots of our members want us to move our board to another site. I have been complaining about this which seems like forever.Is there going to ever be as solution for this or NOT ? I am just the messenger so don't kill the messenger .. Hope things are well for you !

    All The Best ~ John

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    A Pair of 416-8Z woofers in near perfect condition, one of which has just returned from GPA for a complete recone.
    Hmm, first things first, need to test the two 416s for a good tonal match because sometimes no reasonable amount of EQ can correct it and as some have learned the hard way; Altec did a lot of consolidating its many differing parts/assemblies as well as not always creating a new driver model or suffix number to differentiate from earlier versions to meet the ever changing prosound market performance requirements.


    Consequently, when Bill bought all the existing parts, tools, etc., to form GPA, it was mostly just the last versions/doping/whatever procedures used and whatever relatively little stock of the early model replacements he had is long gone now AFAIK, so unless he's done something to correct this problem in recent years you may have a real 'mixed bag' of woofers.


    A good way to test them is to just prop them in the corners of a wide couch or two identically pillow/blanket stuffed cardboard or similar boxes and feed them with a mono signal, preferably 'pink' noise or similar ['white' might work well enough for age, etc., related HF hearing loss and don't forget to confirm polarity and mark it with fingernail polish or similar if not already done correctly].


    With your head centered between them, there should be no obvious off center balance of one side sounding obviously 'fuller' and/or 'brighter'.


    More to come as time permits.


    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    Thanks for those tips, GM. As soon as time (and motivation) allow, I'll do just as you suggested and compare the woofs.

    GeeDeeEmm

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    You're welcome!

    Last night I happened onto this thread while browsing to see if there'd been a thread started WRT this forum's current ongoing 'flakiness': My Winter Project - Altec Build

    Can't say I blame you, but it sure would have been nice to know you had started this one ~concurrently when we didn't respond as quickly as you wanted, especially since 'we' gave you plenty of opportunity to use it as a 'comeback'; plus I see Earl K. had posted the same concerns as me ~ a week ago to render mine a waste of time, which for me at this point in my life is a very big deal. At least I found out in time that the other things I was going to write about has already been covered, so I'm done here.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    Hi GM,

    Your methodology to test ( for sonic matching ) GDM's two different woofers is frankly, very inspired ( & given Pano's experience with reconing older woofers, we both know why the topic came up on two separate forums ).

    I agree that GDM's display of impatience was unwarranted ( especially after articulating it's a longer term project // timetable tied to disposable funds / etc. etc. ) .

    It would be a shame if you stopped participating in helping him obtain with his "Golden Years System" .


  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: My Winter Project - Altec Build

    Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi GM,

    Your methodology to test ( for sonic matching ) GDM's two different woofers is frankly, very inspired ( & given Pano's experience with reconing older woofers, we both know why the topic came up on two separate forums ).

    I agree that GDM's display of impatience was unwarranted ( especially after articulating it's a longer term project // timetable tied to disposable funds / etc. etc. ) .

    It would be a shame if you stopped participating in helping him obtain with his "Golden Years System" .

    Well, I apologize for my impatience, especially as I was unaware that the site was having problems. You guys have been great. I'm currently making my list of crossover components should I decide to go that direction, but I'm talking to a couple of other folks about alternative ways to go, crossover-wise. So many options, and each has their pluses and minuses. Also in the process of tracking down a source of baltic birch plywood in my area. None of the majors in my area carry it as a stock item - has to be special ordered. I'll keep posting as I progress. Thanks again for the helpful suggestions!

    GeeDeeEmm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.